Depression is real in this day and age of social media, there is a lot of people coming out to tell the world how they are dealing with mental health disorder one way or the other
Since it’s mental health awareness week, I thought how I should share with you guys how I dealt with depression (still dealing with it) normally I am not the type of person that likes to share what am going through personally but I just want to share this part of me and who knows who my story is going to help, anyways let’s get into it.
It all started when I repeated junior high school, I was already feeling sorry for myself, I was being made fun of about my skin by my mates and then to top it all off my parents weren’t making it easy for me, I was always being reminded of how I failed school and I was being compared to someone my age who was already making it in senior high school, I get that they didn’t do it on purpose but they really hurt me.
I started feeling insecure, I went from this confident little girl to this insecure girl with low self-esteem and who didn’t even know who or what she wanted to be. From there I slipped into depression, I started having mood swings, I can really be happy one minute and the next I am crying, it almost got to a point that I was contemplating suicide at that point I just wanted my life to end because I couldn’t take it anymore.
When I gained entrance into high school, I was so happy for a time my mood swings stopped and I didn’t feel like killing myself every day I woke up, the first year in high school was good no one made fun of my skin or of how short I was. I started feeling good about myself, I started having confidence in myself again.
2nd year in high school I started feeling low again I just I didn’t know what happened I went from the happy girl to this girl that just didn’t know she was again or who she was, I started I’m having issues with my family again my parents especially they started comparing me again with someone else, I started trying to be someone they wanted me to be, I just wanted to be accepted, it got to a point I just didn’t know what to do. After a while I started getting really hands-on with people like if you get near me at picking fights with you if I didn’t fight, I would just start crying, that’s always something with me that I just couldn’t stop me.
Then something amazing happened I fell in love, I was just so happy like I couldn’t explain it, you know when you fall in love that feeling you get like this is the person especially when your teenager and you don’t even understand what love really is but you just know that this person makes you really happy. I was really happy for 6 months and we were just so happy like really really really happy and then one day I don’t know what started it I don’t even understand how it happened but we fought he just told me one thing he said he couldn’t deal with me, If you went through heartbreak like I did here is a post on how to move on from a broken heart that instant on my mood swings started up again and it got worse, my depression was with me up until I left school. The saddest thing about this story is that even on my birthdays a day that I am meant to be happy, I was always crying on my birthday. My depression got a lot worse after this.
I was this way dealing with depression up until I entered College, it was there I met some of my friends now, who taught me that life shouldn’t be taken too seriously and that I should live my life the way I wanted that I shouldn’t try and be someone am not.
How I Am Dealing with Depression
Depression isn’t something that just goes away in one week or two months it takes time, I am still dealing with it but I am going to give you some tips that have helped me.
- Music: My number tip on how to deal with depression is to listen to music. Music is one of my therapists, it has helped me in so many ways, whenever I feel I am sliding into one of my moods, I just start playing music and it helps me a lot
- Reading: Reading has helped me a lot, whenever I start reading a book, I get lost in the story, it gives me something to think about.
- Surround yourself with people who love you: Another tip on how I dealt with depression is surrounding myself with people I love. As I said earlier, if I hadn’t met people who loved me for who I am, I don’t know what I would have done to myself.
- Let it all Out: The first lesson I learned was that I shouldn’t bottle up my feelings, it doesn’t help anyone but it will hurt you a lot, If you can’t talk to someone, you can get a book and that writing out how you feel. It will help you in the long run, I had to learn the hard way
- Start a New Hobby: Another way to deal with depression is to start a new hobby, something that brings you joy and makes you happy just thinking about it.
That is all the tips I wanted to share with you guys and please, please, please if you are suffering from a mental disorder, please go and see someone or talk to someone. No one on earth is perfect, so please don’t hold it in. I am still working on myself and finding out who I really am and I believe you can too.